Working at home? No long distances to the workplace? Flexible hours? Better reconciliation between family and working life? Telework does the trick.
The teleworking option opens up new opportunities of combining private and work life both to male and female employees and to employers . However, the term “teleworker” does not refer to a new profession, but to a new way of working. Commonly practised activities are carried out in a new way.
What exactly is telework?
Telework designates the type of work where employees perform work duties from remote locations. As a matter of fact teleworking is not possible without the required information and communication technology. This means that the tele workstation is connected with the office workstation through electronic means of communication like computer, internet, email or phone.
Telework can be practised in different ways.
It can be performed at the employee’s home (home-based telework) or on the go (mobile telework).
In most cases telework goes hand in hand with flexible working time and thereby offers new ways of combining work and private life.
What is the good of teleworking?
Higher quality of work
- Teleworking improves the attractiveness of employers as well as the productivity of the employees who work from home. This is, among other things, due to better concentration, less distraction, no long travelling times to get to the office and therefore more time to do work.
- The option of working from home/Telecommuting opportunities motivates employees in their work performance and they can do thorough work anywhere/ remotely.
- Teleworking improves the cooperation of the employees in office and allows better coordination of meetings. A stop is put to long meetings and unstructured negotiating. As a consequence, meetings become more efficient.
- Teleworking enables persons returning to their jobs to work more than part-time after maternity/paternity leave.
- Teleworking enables employees to take on more individual responsibility.
- Reconciliation of family and working life: Teleworking enables mainly women (but also men) having to care for others to work full-time again as long distances and travel times are eliminated.
- Telework improves the quality of life through a better or optimised work-life balance.
More climate protection
Thanks to less commuter traffic teleworkers save climate-damaging carbon dioxide. Therefore, teleworking makes an important contribution to environmental and climate protection.